Sumner Silverman is a master jeweler who makes art jewelry of specific orchid taxa (named orchids). One of his greatest skills is in wax carving for casting. He fashions one of a kind masterworks in fossil ivory and repousse 24k gold.
Sumner Silverman is a master jeweler who makes art jewelry of specific orchid taxa (named orchids). One of his greatest skills is in wax carving for casting. For the last several years Sumner has focused this skill on the family Orchidaceae.
His work has appeared in the follow venues:
- Golden Jubilee Collection, sponsored by the Metropolitan Opera Guild at Lincoln Center, New York.
- Special exhibition at the Fitchburg Massachusetts Art Museum.
- Traveling exhibit sponsored by the Board of Trustees of the Cité des Sciences et de L'Industrie La Villette in Paris.
- Fashion show sponsored by the World Gold Council and Revlon.
- Private galleries in New York, Boston, Santa Fe, San Francisco, and Dallas.
- The 19th World Orchid Conference, 2008, Miami Florida
- 2007 Massachusetts Orchid Show: First and second prizes- sculpture, First and second prizes- Jewelry
- 2008 19th World Orchid Conference: First prize- 3d/ mixed media
Dr. Silverman is on the faculty of Metalwerx, a metal arts school in Waltham, MA.
Dr. Silverman is on the Advisory Board of the Educational Mentoring though the Arts and Humanities.
He has a radio program on WVVY.FM called Shrink Wrap focusing on Martha's Vineyard artists.
He is the recipient of the American Gem Trade Association Spectrum Award.
To see other work by Dr. Silverman please click on www.sumnersilverman.com